Saturday, November 9, 2013

F is for Friends

Preschool is starting to become part of the usual routine on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings.  Hopefully we can keep it up!  Here goes letter F!

Day 1
We started this week with Parker's favorite, The Sticky Bubble Gum Song.  Then we sang "Hurry, Hurry, Drive the Firetruck."  We counted to 25 and reviewed what numbers 1-8 look like.  Then he completed this number-sequencing firetruck puzzle.  

I laid them out randomly,


asked him to find number one and showed him where to put it,


and he took over from there.


Then I quizzed him on the letters we already knew, we recited all of the Bible verses,  and I introduced Letter F.  Parker thought of "Fish" when we were brainstorming different things that start with F.  We also mentioned friends and family, fire, farm, and flowers.  Then we learned this week's verse.

"For nothing is impossible with God." Luke 1:37

We moved up to the table for our Intro to Letter F activity.  I laid out a few strips of orange and yellow paper and Parker ripped them to shreds.  Then he glued them to the red F's to make it look like fire.





Then Ryan read him


When they were finished, we practiced "Stop, Drop, and Roll."  Then I had Parker find all of his firetrucks books that we have and we read them all.  (He has most of them memorized).

   


The kid loves firetrucks!  I think I know why ;)

Day 2
We are so fortunate to have friends with kids the same age as Parker, so I thought it'd be fun to invite them over to experience Parker Prep with us.  We started with some songs, including "The Little Fish," by Carol Peterson.  It's one of my personal favorites.  The kids loved it, too.



Then all of the kids needed to use the bathroom, haha.  Once I was able to round them all up again, I taught them Letter F and the Bible verse.  Then we read


I had them repeat each of the parts and explained a bit about what each one does.  Time for our experiment!  I gave them each a cup of water and a carnation.  I asked them what the stem does, and they told me it carries water up to the flower.  Then I asked them, "If the stem carries the water to the flower, what happens if I turn the water green?"  They kind of laughed =)  They each chose a color to dye their water, and we observed them over the next few hours.

I gave them each a puzzle to complete.


Once they were finished, I had them point to the different parts.  Finally, I gave them each a coffee filter and some markers and had them color it however they'd like.


When they were done coloring, I let them spray it with water to make the colors bleed.  We set them out to dry, and read


Then we checked on our flowers.  The one with the red water was starting to turn red!  It really worked!  The kids played for a while longer and then we all went out for Chic-Fil-A for some food =)

When we came back, Parker's flower was really starting to turn green!


And his coffee filter was dry, so we put it up on the window.


Thank you, friends, for coming over to learn about Letter F!   We loved having you!

Later that night, we read


Day 3

Ryan took Parker to a forest preserve for a little field trip the day before.  They had the best time.



Time to learn about Fall.  We sang songs, counted to 25, and then did this Fall math activity.  He had to put the correct number of leaves on the tree.




Then we read


There's a page in the back that has a bunch of different labeled leaves, so we looked through our leaves that we collected on our walk a few days earlier to see which ones we had.  We talked about how leaves change colors, and how they're all different shapes and sizes.  Then we sorted them by color.



He did so great with this, and we reviewed the different names of the leaves while he was doing it.

Then we played Leaf Match.  I traced the outlines the night before.  Each outline was the same color as the leaf.  Parker was in the zone today!  He was truly enjoying this and was chatting to himself the whole time.



Then we read


and



Happy Fall!



No comments:

Post a Comment